Lodge is considered one of the pioneers and best in the industry when it comes to making cast iron skillets. The company was founded in 1896 and has since been making different sizes of outdoor cookware, bakeware, grill pans, griddles, Dutch ovens, woks, and skillets. This family-owned brand is hailed as the longest-standing manufacturer of cast iron cookware in the US.
The brand is a favorite among many kitchen enthusiasts, food magazines, and professional chefs. Here are some raves their products have been getting from satisfied customers:
- The Lodge Blacklock 96 Skillet is lightweight, making it easy to handle.
- The shape of the Lodge Chef Collection 12-Inch Skillet makes it ideal for sauteing, roasting, and searing.
- The Covered Deep Skillet makes a premium fryer.
- The brand’s 12-Inch Skillet is simply the best, hands down when it comes to skillets.
Reasons for Buying Lodge
- Performance. You can safely use the Lodge cast iron on campfires, grills, and other outdoor cooking methods. It’s broiler and oven-safe and can be used on all cooktops. You only have to wait a little longer for the cookware to heat, unlike when using stainless steel, but rest assured that it effectively retains heat once the pan is hot. As expected, it’s heavy, so this may not be the best option for flipping. However, you can use it for browning and searing.
- Ease of Use. You have to periodically season pre-seasoned pans to retain the characteristic. As its seasoning becomes stronger through time, the surface becomes naturally non-stick. It may be an added work, but you will enjoy the end results. Keep the cast iron properly seasoned and cleaned.
- Durability. The cast iron from this brand was made to last. The seamless pan underwent a sand molding process using a proprietary mixture of components, including steel and pig iron. However, you have to be careful in handling and caring for the item if you want to use it for a long time. Avoid banging it carelessly on the countertop and exposing it to extreme temperature shifts.
The brand offers affordable products with a value comparable to the more expensive brands.