Thread: spatula/flipper

spatula/flipper

Has anyone had good experiences with a certain make or type of flipper that they use with cast iron. It does not have to be new.

Re: spatula/flipper

I like the long hard plastic ones to flip but I use the wooded spatula's to scrape an stir. This is my favorite set.

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-ELGB010...ds=spatula+set

From what I've read, the blade needs flat along the edge and not curved and the corners need to be rounded so they don't gouge the pan.

I bought 2 different one from Walmart but haven't used them that much. The one I like the other one the handle is sharp & digs into my hand.

They both have the above characteristics, but like I said I've only used them a few times each.

I do use wooden spoons and utencils when I just need to stir.
    Last edited by Mark Goldschmidt; 12-24-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: additional commit

Don't forget that tongs are a good way to "flip" buttermilk fried chicken, pulled pork, pork chops, meatballs, etc. We like the OXO Good Grips with silicone tips good up to 600F. They are available in 12" or 9" sizes. Just offering another option...

Name:  Ecko spatula.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  70.5 KB

Easily the best spatula I have found. Ecko stainless steel with bakelite handle from the 1950s+. Had one as a kid and found two many years ago to put in my kitchen. I use them all the time and they work great to scrape out stuck on food after cooking. Keep out of the dishwasher and all day soakings in water if you want the handle to outlast you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EKCO...-/111094909122
    Last edited by Steve Stephens; 01-16-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: add photo

Bakelite handles are a plus. You mean your food sticks to your pans?

You bet some food sticks to my pans but VERY little. A quick scrape of the pan in warm or hot water then wipe with a paper towel all over the pan. Remember, I don't season my pans, I just use them.

I still have my original Ecko stainless steel set given to us as a wedding present in 1957--I STILL use all the pieces, probably because back "then" we didn't have a dishwasher--they are still good shape! Wear like IRON (smile).