Rebates on My eBay Purchases? (and other sites, too?)

I know it sounds too good to be true but I have to share this information with my fellow G&CICA members.

In 2007, a friend of mine tried to get me to sign up for eBates and Mr. Rebates. She assured me there was no catch. I would get rebates on many items I purchased. It sounded too good to be true. She kept nagging me about it. In fact, it took a year before I signed up. I have not regretted it once.

Whether you buy from Best, Buy, Kohls, Macys, Lowes, Home Depot, LL Bean, Lands End, eBay, restaurant.com, and many other online sites, you can get a rebate. The amount of the rebate varies store to store. The stores may change the rebate amount from time to time. For example, eBay used to be on the list several years ago. It was a trial period for several months and then they dropped off the list. Just by chance, I looked today and eBay is back on the list for both Mr. Rebates and eBates.

This is what I do. If I plan on making an online purchase, I check both sites and see who is giving the largest rebate. Mr. Rebates is currently giving .25% rebate and eBates is giving 1% rebate on eBay purchases. If I am purchasing from eBay, just before I pay, I go to one of the rebate sites. (Let's say ebates.com for this example). I sign in and click on the store for eBay. It will take you to the eBay website and you complete your transaction as usual. If it is a "buy it now" purchase, I go to eBates.com (for example), click on "eBay" then do the "buy it now." Just a side note: I can give you a referral link that gives us each an additional $5 but eBates will not allow me to post that on a forum or facebook.

If you go to Mr.Rebates.com, you follow the same procedure. Rebates are issued every 3 months. If your rebate is less than $5, it will carry over to the next quarter until your rebate exceeds $5. The sign-up bonus will also carry over if you have not met the $5 rebate on purchases. I have found that Mr. Rebates generally has more stores and usually offers larger rebates. In the case of eBay rebates, eBates has the larger rebate at this time.

I've had purchases where I only got rebated pennies but quickly learned those pennies add up. During holidays or company anniversaries, the rebate amount is often doubled. Have a promo code for Lands End or other online store? The current promo codes are often listed on the rebates sites. Check what promo codes are available on either rebate site. If listed, you can get both the rebate and the promo code discount.

I know by now your head is spinning and you're think this is too confusing and not worth my time. Or you're thinking this is too good to be true. I have been using these rebates sites since 2008 and have never had a problem. They do not sell my personal information. (For those folks that know me, this is REALLY important to me). If I refer you, you get one email saying I referred you and no more. You've probably seen the commercials on TV for eBates. I'm just letting you know it is a good deal. Many stores give larger rebates than eBay does. In fact, I've had stores that give a 30% rebate on my purchases. If you are buying online anyway, why not get that added rebate?

You can opt to get your rebate via check or via Paypal. There are no Paypal fees deducted from your rebate. It shows up in your Paypal account and you can spend it whenever you choose or move it to your bank account linked to your Paypal account.

I'm not trying to pressure anyone into this. I'm just sharing this tidbit of information for anyone that may be interested. If you've heard about these rebate sites but were skeptical, I'm just letting you know it's legit.
    Last edited by Audrey Belden; 09-17-2014 at 07:45 AM.