Another Griswold Pup Reproduction Getting Bids!

When I see a fake Griswold Pup getting bids, I wonder if the bidders simply want to own a reproduction or do they really think it is an authentic Griswold pup? I've seen some fakes sell for more than a real one. It will be interesting to see how high this one will go. The seller indicates it has a sideways 5 on it's head and is possibly a "carnival premium." At least the seller is being more upfront than others that pass these off as the "real deal" -- though he doesn't use the word "reproduction." I hate to see new collectors get duped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pape...item2ed2a249bb

How many of these fakes will end up at an antique store or in a collection and displayed as a real Griswold Pup?

A few years ago, I was at "The Factory Antique Mall" in Verona, VA and a dealer was selling unmarked pups for $100 each because they were (in his words) "Griswold Pups."

G&CICA Moderator

Re: Another Griswold Pup Reproduction Getting Bids!

The same bidder that won the pup you mention has bid on every fake/reproduction "Griswold" pup that has come up on eBay in the last week or more. They have won most of them, and I can't imagine why. In the meantime, there have been some nice genuine pups posted, at reasonable prices, that were passed on.

Why would someone want to own a boatload of reproductions? I hope their intentions are honorable. There was a time when I would buy them just to get them out of the market but there are just too many and frequently the prices are more than I would be willing to spend.

G&CICA Moderator

This person appears to be rather new to Ebay with about 50 feedbacks now. The same person was involved a while back with a bidding war that ended with a no-name, but nicely painted, pup selling right around $108. Buying a bunch of reproductions might be motivated by a desire to amass a lot of low priced pups, but then why are there a number of low priced Bucki pups going unbid on. There is even a nice type II right now that no one seems to want. Who knows the minds of eBay bidders????