G&CICA Moderator

Kind of cast iron, not cookware, but interesting....

Name:  DSCN0057.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  511.1 KBName:  DSCN0060.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  366.4 KB

This big old rooster was purchased online over a year ago. The head, body and thighs are cast iron. The comb, wattle and legs are wrought iron and the wings and tail are sheet metal. A very, very similar one was appraised on an Antique Roadshow from Hot Springs, AR in 2002 and shown again in 2006 during a Roadshow Remembers broadcast. It can be seen here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200203A07.html That one was said to be a trade sign from the early 20th century.
    A few others of similar appearance and construction have shown up on eBay. One was made into a lamp.
    I have been searching for more information about these roosters without success. The feet and legs are drilled and tapped from the bottom up for mounting bolts. The thread is 12-24, an American thread. Since the cast parts were made in a mold and the sheet metal parts appear to have been formed in a die, some production is indicated, rather than one off manufacture. The Roadshow rooster was purchased on the west coast, mine came from the east coast.
    Any information about these roosters, their origins or use is greatly appreciated, as is any discussion.

Re: Kind of cast iron, not cookware, but interesting....

Real nice piece Joseph.

Nice tail feather work.

G&CICA Moderator

Thank you, Mark. I was the only bidder on it, which surprised me, as I figured others would have recognized it from the Roadshow, even if it aired 6 years before the auction. I am not too far from the appraiser who did that segment, but have never been able to have him look at mine.