Member's Only Section

We are creating a "Member's Only" section where only G&CICA paid members can access. Much of the old website members section info will be posted there. My question to the members is what topics would you like to see in this section. Please contribute with your thoughts and don't leave it up to a few people to decide. Thanks.

Re: Member's Only Section

How will people who don't remain members be kept out?
    How will new members be allowed in?
    In other words, who will monitor and update member's list?

If people are assigned to the usergroup called G&CICA they will be able to see the member's only section until they are removed. The person in charge of keeping track of that now could do it or a monthly list could be provided to the webmaster.

Good, because the membership list changes quite a bit throughout the year, mostly new members being added in, but also in Jan. dropping those who haven't paid their dues. Maybe that would be another good way to get their attention that they haven't paid their dues if they can no longer access the member's only section.

5. Likes Diane Nicholas, Ej Bogusch likes this post.

I'd like to see us put everything here on the forum and close down that old outdated POS Web Page. Should save us money. Eric, have you seen a web page that has a little book icon that opens up into a catalog where you flip the pages with your mouse? Can we do that for Doris' Magazine the Panhandler? We can reduce printing costs and mail costs if we can get people weaned over to a digital copy which we,(Admin) can archive to a searchable DB for reference purposes. We will of course have to print and mail copies to those who do not have a computer. If people who get it by the site want a hard copy they can print it at their computer at their expense. Eventually as us old farts move on to that cast iron scrapyard in the sky and the younger members who are used to digital media, will accept not getting one in the mail.

Membership list & members only designation: IMO I think the Secretary and an Alternate should be trained to moderate this information directly into the site. The Sec has the information as He/She maintains and edits it. Currently the Secretary sends the information to an Administrator who does the changes. Not efficient, more subject to error and time consuming

Start an "In Memorium' section for deceased members, with the ability to post a photo and text for the member.

Have a page with individual formal type photos of the officers, with the names & position and contact info available to members only, to include past presidents info

Please all mods comment on these suggestions.

7. Likes Diane Nicholas likes this post.

You could count me in on a digital version of The Panhandler...

9. Likes Randy G Young likes this post.

The Panhandler archived on the website would be good. I enjoy getting the hard copy, but also realize the costs involved in printing, the envelope,
    stuffing the pieces & postage. That could be a significant savings.

The page turning feature would have a real "Cool" factor that could get people to go online and read it.

I think a membership directory with a photo (no avatars) would be nice too. I often wonder what some of the people I correspond with look like.
    Maybe on the directory we could have a map page of the USA and when you clicked on a state it linked to the members in that state.

I know some of these ideas may not be doable on a forum format. Just Suggestions though.

11. Likes Karen Pfeifer likes this post.

Something to think about. Bringing in another software format means another password and security issues. More learning on how to complete the task. I am all for putting everything from the old forum online. That is going to take time and some help. A lot of that text was done in all LARGE caps and will have to be redone. For the Pan Handler this system has a great CMS where articles can be created on the fly and changed with ease. It is good to discuss this stuff.

13. Likes Diane Nicholas likes this post.

Eric
    When doing research prior to selecting V-Bulletin I reached out to the membership for input on what they wanted included in the new web & forum and what they thought should be members only.

This is what I received for input:

For MEMBERS ONLY SECTION:

"Board Members" (disagree), "Member List" name,email,Home address,phone (agree) Newsletters (agree) "Meeting Minutes" (agree) Committee Reports (agree) Financials (agree)

For ABOUT US:

"Purpose", (agree) Our "Officers and Board Members" (agree) "How to Contact Us" (agree) Our Merchandise (agree).

For EVENTS:

"Conventions" (agree) Chapter Meets (agree) Auctions & Results (agree) "Photos".

For RESOURCES:

"Links to Related sites" "Members Web Sites" "Publications"

For COOKWARE:

"Cleaning,Care, & Storage of Cast Iron and Aluminium" (agree) "Finishes" (agree) Manufactures (agree) Counterfeits (agree) Reproductions (agree) Recipes.

For NEW ITEMS THEY WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN OUT NEW SITE:

ADD Handbook, Suggestion Box, Commemoratives by year, Forms, News Letters,Better Forum, our Library of Paperwork scanned in for all to see.

As I said Eric this is the input from the membership and why I chose V-Bulletin as our New Site. I felt it could handle just about everything we wanted.

I do agree with Jeff's suggestions when I transfer over the "Obituaries" the title should be changed to "In Memory Of" The book icon where members can flip
    thru the pages of our news letter is a great suggestion, and his idea to have the Secretary and an Alternate keep up the member list would is very appropriate.

15. Likes Randy G Young likes this post.

What other software system are you talking about? The page turning thingy? As you can see I'm not a techie

Yes Jeff the page turning software. That would be another program and not compatible with Vbulletin. So you would have to sign into that as well.

18. Likes Randy G Young likes this post.